How to keep your jewellery clean
Posted on August 21 2019
We are sharing how to keep your treasures clean & safe!
No chemicals. No special equipment. Just a few simple tricks you can use at home.
1. Be courteous.
- take your rings off while doing dishes, gardening, using household chemicals, swimming in the pool or putting on moisturizer; this will prevent your gold from chemicals and your settings from getting stuffed with gunk.
- take your jewelry off during showering and swimming; water can loosen up the fit and you can easily loose your favourite pieces; it can also develop oxidization which can lead to irritations.
2. Soap & water go a long way.
- do a spa day at home with warm water and a bit of soap (dawn or gentle hand soap).
- use an old toothbrush to scrub at hard to reach places.
- soak your pieces over night in a little dish with soap and water mixture to loosen up the stubborn dirt and then scrub.
- throw in a bit of baking soda in the mixture if your stones are either diamonds, sapphires or spinels. Baking soda is too abrasive on softer stones like opals, moonstones, sunstones and so on.
3. Prevention is key.
- take your rings off before going rock climbing or if you know you will be tracking through the wilderness.
- take them off before going to the gym as banging your gold agains steel bars and equipment can do no good.
- if your rings feel loose and need to be sized down, take them off before going swimming to prevent loosing them.
- take your necklaces off when working out to prevent developing rashes on your neck and possibly getting them caught on things.
If you ever have questions or concerns about your YCJ pieces you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org